Saturday, February 19, 2011

loose ropes still tied knots

This year I got my permanent contract at the school where I work.  When I first started this career -- fourteen years ago -- a permanent contract was a big deal to me.  I wanted some predictability.  That was before I got married, before we started moving a lot to chase Shawn's career, before I realised that I like not knowing everything, before I realised that sometimes it feels really good to be leaving.  I gave up my first permanent contract and never got another one because we moved too often for anyone to ever offer me another one.

But now we have been here long enough for me to have a permanent contract again and when I first signed it I felt strangely sad to be making a commitment to stay anywhere.  It's not that this kind of contract prevents you from leaving when you want to, but it somehow represented something that made me feel a little trapped and suddenly I started fantasizing about becoming a woodworker.

When I arrived at this school in '07, the senior students had been taught by Mr. Svengali and they were still convinced he would one day stop suing the school board and return to them.  They resented me doing anything that indicated I was anything but a temporary nuisance.  The juniors had known only a string of substitute teachers and although they had no particular loyalty, they had a lot of bad habits.  It was my task to take over this mess, and it was no fun.

Yesterday I was teaching my seniors, the ones who are now my seniors, the ones I have taught almost from the start of their high school careers, and realised that they've become what I wanted them to be.  It's not about their acting skills, it's about their culture.  They are kind to each other.  I like teaching them.  I actually look forward to them in my day and the last four years of wrangling them has made them the class I want to teach.  Isn't that something?  It puts me back in mind of my newfound permanence and makes me want to stay here, maybe, after all.

There are reasons to stay here now.  Keeping J in one place is good for her.  She has had enough upheaval for one lifetime.  She has good friends here, she has settled well.  

And maybe we have all had enough upheaval for awhile.  Maybe it is time for us to grow roots again.


*



7 comments:

secret agent woman said...

It's something, all right. It's a wonderful something.

heartinsanfrancisco said...

Congratulations on your contract, and on raising your students to be people you want to teach.

I have moved a lot in my adult life and seem to put down roots fairly easily, but there is much to be said for growing into a community in ways I have never done. And you can always travel, knowing that you have a home base waiting for you. There is something marvelous about planting trees and being there when they bear fruit, both in the classroom and in your back yard.

nick said...

I've moved around a lot in my adult life, I've had 13 homes altogether, so I'm quite used to moving around and the stimulus it provides. On the other hand I have the stability and security of being with my partner of 30 years. That combination has worked very well.

My mum was a teacher, and she got the same satisfaction out of seeing the effect her persistence and enthusiasm had on her pupils.

Anonymous said...

Yep.

J.B. Chicoine said...

It must be very gratifying, that 'the last four years of wrangling them has made them the class you want to teach'
There is a great deal to be said for that.

We, too, have moved quite a bit. We enjoy transience--just the same, we are on the verge of a move that entails a long term commitment, and a larger part of me is looking forward to that...perhaps it's my age...

Jerry said...

I just watched 'The Dog Whisperer' last night and he was trying to solve a problem when the dogs at an apartment complex were always fighting. The goal was to teach them to be kind to each other -- that was the only way they could live a comfortable and meaningful life. Perhaps it is a demeaning comparison, but I don't mean it to be. Simple kindness in relationships allows all to soar.

mischief said...

secret agent- Thank you, I think so too.

Susan - I used to think that I didn't have enough time to wait for trees to bear fruit. Now I see it takes less time than I thought.

Nick - I think you have captured exactly why I found moving far easier than I once thought it would be, because when I go with my family I take my home with me.

Me - Yep too.

jb - Good luck with your move and the new commitment. I hope it goes well for you.

Jerry - It's not demeaning to me at all for I am a believer in all the dogs have to teach me. Kindness and quick forgiveness in dog world.