Friday, February 25, 2011

so be easy and free when you're drinking with me

In third period a twelfth grade student showed up outside the door to my classroom.  She asked if she could speak to me privately in the hallway.  I left my grade eights unsupervised, a leap of faith, and stepped out into the hall.  She was out there with two other twelfth grade boys, and all three of them were giggling; the boys were holding the zebra.  R.W.'s zebra.  Again

R.W. is a history teacher.  He's a little bit crazy.  He has tattoos from his wrists to I-do-not-know-him-well-enough-to-know-where-they-end.  Somewhere below his neckline.  And R.W. owns a giant, almost life-sized paper-mâché zebra that lives in his classroom.  No one knows quite why.

Last school year when the zebra first appeared it kept me awake at night.  I kept thinking about it, thinking about how badly I wanted to take it away from R.W. and hide it somewhere and torture him.  Eventually I roped some innocent mentally handicapped children into helping me steal it and installed it in the lighting booth of the theatre.  Felt really pleased with myself while R.W. went around the building accusing everyone and whining about the cruelty of the world.  (I marveled at the ability of the students to keep my secret until I realized they didn't actually remember my secret.  It was the perfect crime.)

Eventually I gave Zippy back to R.W., though.  I think he was on my trail anyway, and since he had complied with the demands of my ransom notes -- mostly Fruit Loop related --, I reinstalled Zippy in his classroom when he was out of the building.  And I denied knowing anything about it.  I still do.

So it was with a mix of horror and delight that I took in the fact that Zippy had been kidnapped and was once again within my clutches.  The seniors wanted me to hide the zebra somewhere while they figured out what to do with him.  I considered... and agreed.  The problem, of course, was that Zippy would have to be smuggled into the theatre past thirty eighth graders who were bound to tell on us.

We swore them all to secrecy and proceeded.

By the end of the day R.W. had received reports from not less than six of them.  Tattletales.  They did not know the names of the villains who had brought the zebra into the theatre and so R.W. went to admin and viewed the security camera tape for the afternoon.  Not very sportsmanlike behaviour if you ask me.  We were busted.

R.W. appeared in the theatre at the end of the day looking hostile.  He told me the jig was up and demanded Zippy's safe return.  I meekly handed him over.  I know how to lose gracefully.  R.W. told me that unless I would agree to go to Ireland and perform with his band on St. Patrick's Day he would vow revenge.  I pondered the options and decided to go to Ireland.  I have been thinking about saying no for a long time which made it strangely easy to say yes.

I am defending my thesis the week before this trip.  I will celebrate or drown my sorrows in the land of Saints and Scholars.


*

8 comments:

heartinsanfrancisco said...

Is Zippy going to Ireland, too? Maybe his white stripes could be dyed green, or snippets of Yeats could be written on him. Or he could carry a pint around his neck like a St. Bernard. And oh, one more thing, can I go with you? I've never been to Ireland, so it's only right that I should go, too.

J.B. Chicoine said...

You really got me giggling with this one...Oh my goodness...I think it is very good that we don't live anywhere near each other!

Are you seriously going to Ireland to perform with R.W's band on St. Patrick's Day? I of course expect a full report.

And best wishes for your thesis!

mischief said...

Susan, Zippy is planning to keep the home fires burning instead. He's not the adventuresome type, unlike his Dad. I do so like your suggestions for his St. Patrick's Day attire though. There's no reason he has to leave home to dress up. And yes, you should definitely come with me. In fact I'd appreciate it if you would take my place on stage because I am petrified -- and I hear you can sing.

JB, what would happen if we lived near each other? Are you telling me you are the sort that enjoys kidnapping zebras too? Yes, I really am going to go to Ireland and perform with R.W.'s band, or at least I really did tell him I would go. Which means I intend to. That probably means I will go. I have sung with R.W.'s band in his garage a couple of times. In addition to my caterwauling, I also play very poor guitar and half-assed harmonica. You can see why I am so sought after in the Emerald Isle.

Jerry said...

I know, and you know, that R.W. loves this attention -- especially from you. Will wonders ever cease -- a singer, harmonica playing, guitaring teach? Wow!

J.B. Chicoine said...

Here's the thing, 'Mischief'--you and I together would be baking soda and vinegar! (I'll be the vinegar if you like...)

secret agent woman said...

Oh, that is exactly the sort of thing I love to do to people. And going to Ireland should be cool.

mischief said...

Jerry,
Well, clearly. I mean who wouldn't want the attention of a bug-eyed tongue-sticking-out cartoon girl? These things are endearing ... and not at all frightening.

JB,
I like that image... it sounds like fun.

Secret Agent:
Sounds like you like to play too. Vinegar or baking soda?

Brown said...

Ireland needs all the help it can get....