Saturday, February 05, 2011

the light of morning decomposes everything

Why do people have to be this lonely? What's the point of it all? Millions of people in this world, all of them yearning, looking to others to satisfy them, yet isolating themselves. Why? Was the earth put here just to nourish human loneliness?
(Sputnik Sweetheart, Murakami, 1999)



I hope I never feel so sure of myself that I forget what loneliness feels like.  I hope I can always take a short step to find that feeling when I need it because there is nothing that makes you appreciate not being lonely like remembering it and feeling it again.






*



6 comments:

Kim said...

I agree, I think that remembering what it is like to feel truly lonely is a humbling experience. One of the things my brother said to me all the time right up until he left us, was that he was so so lonely. I could never reach him even though I tried. I'd say - come stay with us, please!

Spindrift said...

Beautiful and profound. Knowing you deepens me. Knowing you reassures me. I feel less lonely with you here. Thank you for being here and for being the special person that you are.

heartinsanfrancisco said...

Yeah, it feels so good when you stop banging your head against the wall.

mischief said...

Kim, humbling is a good word for it. Like remembering where one came from even when things are so much better.

Paul, thank you so much for all of that. I'm overwhelmed. Thank you.

Susan, you make me laugh. My mother used to say (when I made similar announcements) that it was like "hitting yourself over the head with a hammer for the pleasure of stopping". Hurts so good.

secret agent woman said...

I can dive into loneliness like it's a pool. Pretty sure the feeling will always be there for the remembering if not the immediate experiencing.

glnroz said...

,,,yes. It is the "glue".