Tuesday, February 22, 2011

hammer time

This morning as I was saying very inspirational things to 31 enraptured little fourteen year olds, a loud banging noise interrupted me.  It was coming from the hallway just beyond my door.  It made my eye twitch.  I left them mid-sentence and stormed out into the corridor planning to kill whatever child was making the sound.  It wasn't a child.  It was a man from the school district maintenance office, or at least his coveralls seemed to say so, and he was hammering the doorframe next to mine for reasons which remain a mystery.  I tried to rearrange my features in time but was too slow... and so he saw my anger and looked terrified, and I swear he moved to hide the hammer behind his back.  We both said, "Sorry", simultaneously.



*

6 comments:

Brown said...

How often we forget that not only can we not take back words we've spoken, but what our bodies say for us as well. I'd be a horrible poker player.

nick said...

I'm surprised he didn't just continue hammering the doorframe, muttering "Sorry, love, essential maintenance, can't be helped."

mischief said...

Me too, Brown. It's hard for me to hide things sometimes, even things I want to hide very much.

Nick, perhaps he is unaccustomed to irate teachers bearing down on him with death in their eyes. He did resume banging though after I left, so maybe this kind of thing is just another day at work.

J.B. Chicoine said...

I just love the spontaneous mutual reaction--you conveyed it well!

secret agent woman said...

Why in the world did he need to be hammering during classtime?

mischief said...

Thanks JB. I have no clue why the district maintenance guys do what they do. They keep the exact same work hours that the school does, so they only work while class is in session. It frequently means we are disrupted, and sometimes displaced which is even more annoying.