Wednesday, May 05, 2010

where the power lines steal esses from the hourly news

When I went running tonight I passed a house where a big dog was lying on the front porch. He watched me with his ears pricked up. Then as I was getting a little further away from the house and close to the path that leads me into the park, the dog suddenly got up from the porch and started to follow me. He was not exerting much effort to keep up because I am not especially fast, and for awhile he loped along behind me at a distance. I was aware of him though because of his tags which jingled as he jogged.

After a little bit of time he decided to catch up and run along right beside me, almost close enough to touch him, matching my stride perfectly. He wasn't racing me, he was just keeping me company. He stayed with me the entire time I ran, nearly an hour, and as I was leaving the park a man in a truck slowed down as he drove by and yelled at me out his window for not having my dog on a leash. I did not bother to respond. When we got near to his house the dog went back to his porch.


*

J - I do not know if you read here anymore. I tried to write to you about writing and Mailer-Daemon accused me of trying to send you spam and told me to go away and reconsider my intentions for a 24 hour period and then try again. I did this, contemplated my intentions, but was unable to figure out what they are. Maybe that is why M-D still won't let me speak to you. I'll try another 24 hours and see if I can sort them out.




*

4 comments:

heartinsanfrancisco said...

What a lovely story about you and your running companion. When I lived in MA, a neighborhood Doberman was feared by everyone but whenever I passed his house, he strolled beside me until I reached the edge of his property, at which point he nosed me and returned to his guarding spot. He was a nice dog with a very bad rep.

mischief said...

If I was brave like you I would write about things that are controversial and which spark debate, but I find it safer to talk about things that are hard to dispute, like bits of fact from daily living. Dogs can tell about people, of course, but some people can too. I understood what you said.

Brown said...

Sounds like a guardian angel! Love stories like these....they really make you ponder life. Life needs balance, I think people debate sufficiently enough. It's good to spark other things as well.

mischief said...

Yes, I think my guardian angel should be a dog; most of the time I like dogs more than people. Suddenly I wonder if there was something unsafe in the park when I was running that was avoided by having a big dog running along next to me?