Saturday, May 08, 2010

it had something to do with the rain leaching loamy dirt

Sometimes I want to know how normal people do their grocery shopping because I am certain I do not do mine like a normal person. When I see other people sauntering around in there, confident, with their carts overflowing and lists in their hands, I am certain I am doing something wrong. How do people have any idea what they want or need for a whole week? I do not understand this. First, I find it nearly impossible to predict how much food my family members will eat because they always eat more than I think possible. Second, I cannot get my mind around the idea of planning a whole week's worth of meals and sticking to that plan. I usually decide what to eat based on what I feel like at any given moment and the idea of planning several days in advance seems impossible.

As a result:
- I throw a lot of food in the garbage
- I end up having to shop several times a week

I know this is far from ideal but I cannot seem to change it. I guess I don't really want to. There are a good number of things like this, things that grown ups figure out how to do, that completely escape me. But I can't seem to convince myself it's worth the effort to change. So I'm perpetually wandering around the grocery store looking for something I forgot, something I wanted at the last minute, or something I thought we had lots of.

And I hate the grocery store, really. Why does it have to be so cold in there? My nipples don't know what to think. And why does some guy always try to get me to sign up for a credit card in there? And why do I need to have a card to access their amazing discount prices? I am seriously thinking it would be worthwhile to invest in having someone else take care of this aspect of my life for me.





*

10 comments:

Spindrift said...

It's kind of funny for me to read this and then try to imagine somebody else shopping for me. I could imagine someone cleaning my house for me, but not doing my shopping.
I'm trying to think of all the places my wife and I shop. We seem to be constantly shopping, lists at the ready. We shop online too, from other countries.
We shop at different places for different things. We shop at different markets and from loads of supermarkets and asian, indian and african stores.
Sometimes it can feel like a bit of an adventure. That may sound odd, but mostly it's a really enjoyable activity. We don't have a car so my wife and I have to catch public transport with our shopping buggies and back packs, so it can be quite the effort, but wouldn't change it for quids.

mischief said...

I would like someone to clean my house for me too, when they aren't shopping for me. It sounds like you and your wife are the kind of people I am talking about, those who have lists and know exactly what they need. In some ways I would like to be more efficient that way. And in other ways I think it's too much effort to exert into something I don't really care about anyway. I would like to keep the yard work for myself and have someone else do all the rest.

heartinsanfrancisco said...

I shop impulsively like you, despite knowing that there is a mature, organized way to do it. I justify it on the basis that this is how French people shop and perhaps I was French in a previous incarnation.

mischief said...

I was halfheartedly justifying my impulsive grocery habits based on the fact that I lived several years close enough to a market that it actually made sense to shop that way because I could walk home with fresh vegetables every day. Now this is no longer the case and I like the idea of blaming it on being French rather than on being unadaptable to change.

heartinsanfrancisco said...

I also justify it by the freshness of the food I buy. Planning a week's meals at a time would never work because I have no earthly clue on Monday what I will want to eat on Thursday, or even, usually, Monday until hunger strikes. I also don't ever eat fast food, so slack is cut for that, too.

Anonymous said...

If I were to draw your brain, I would put many colo(u)red polka dots in it. I think I would use little dot stickers for that.

I can't type well with these long fingernails.

My math final was worth 150 points, plus 5 points extra credit. I ended up with 155 points.

I am the worst friend in the world, but if you don't mind, why should I?

Um....you don't mind, do you?

mischief said...

You cannot be the worst friend in the world because I like you. Why do you have long fingernails? Thank you for my U. xio

mischief said...

And why are you good at math?

Anonymous said...

When the word love was put on the glass of water, beautiful crystals formed in the water.

When I put LOVE MATH on my body, math beauty formed within me.

The long fingernails merely represent the glass.

*putting you in my belly buttonm for safe keeping*

mischief said...

I love you very much.