Monday, May 24, 2010

(each one a little more than he could dare to try)

Shawn's friend J came to visit on Saturday night. J lived with us last year while he was going through his divorce. He looks better now than the last time I saw him, more like himself when we were teenagers - in a way. He is working now which I am convinced makes a difference because although working is clearly for the birds it makes people feel like they're doing something meaningful even when they find their jobs meaningless. Now he has something to complain about like the rest of the world, something on which to blame any negative feelings that flit by. Now he gets up in the morning and sleeps at night. When he lived with us he slept literally sixteen hours a day and I mostly saw him on weekends waking up as I was going to bed. Now I think he's recovering well.

For the better part of a season he wandered around England in a big black coat, pretending he was Leonard Cohen. But now he's J again which is good because I missed him.



*


This morning when I was mowing the lawn the mower ran out of gas with only one small triangle of grass left to cut. I looked at it for a long time and asked myself what would be the harm in leaving it like that rather that lugging out the petrol container and refueling the mower for that last thirty seconds of work. Part of me was screaming against it - a travesty almost - but in the end I asked myself WWSD (What Would Spindrift Do?) and I decided he would leave it like that, show it to his wife, and they would laugh at it. So that's what I did. Left it, showed it to my wife, laughed. And it's not bothering me at all to know it's out there like that still. Nope, not at all. Nuh uh.




*

4 comments:

heartinsanfrancisco said...

OCD is a requisite for mowing lawns. Really.

mischief said...

Perfect, then I should open a landscaping company! The small triangle will be my signature.

Spindrift said...

It's funny when I hear that you have done this, and that you would think of me at all is touching. I know now, I can feel it in my waters that when I next mow my lawn, I will leave a triangle. No wait, I'm not that precise, it'll probably look like some kind of block with some extra pointy bits, but I'll be thinking triangle.

mischief said...

I will always think of you when I mow the lawn now. It's raining this weekend though, so no mowing. I can still think about blocks with extra pointy bits and smile.