Tuesday, April 06, 2010

effortlessly average

I hate my union. This is not like me, not like me at all. If anyone had asked me prior to this year what I thought of unions my response would have been lukewarm. I'd never seen any impressive evidence that the union was helping me out in any real way, but neither was I interested in finding out what would happen if employers were unmoderated. I thought the employer was Enemy and the union was Friend. Someone I trusted must have told me so once.

This year has changed my mind about unions, or at least about my union. My union is not my friend. My union takes nearly $400 a month from my paycheque, in exchange for which my most recent reward was to be subpoenaed to testify in a legal arbitration against my employer who is clearly being screwed by a colleague. I backed up my employer because my colleague is a cheat. The union lawyer, the one being paid by my union dues, called me a liar. My union sucks.

I wanted them to know they suck, which is also not like me, not at all. Usually I don't bother letting people know that I think they suck. How can you know if I think you suck? Because I stay away from you, that's how. This makes someone who sucks no different from someone that I am too busy to call.

But I wanted to leave no room for doubt in this case, so I sent a letter to my union to tell them that they suck. The president wrote back and asked if she could come out to meet with me. I told her to do that. She came to meet with me today and wasted my lunch break.

The meeting was contentious. Also not like me. I am pretty non-confrontational. I was more angry than I realized I was. I think I bordered on snappish. The president of the union defended all their terrible behaviour. She said that the union defends the CONTRACT, not people. After going around in circles awhile I told her she was wasting my time and told her I was leaving. Also not like me. She said she could come back later to continue the conversation. I told her not to.

She couldn't understand what I wanted since it wasn't money, a job, or anything tangible. Apparently it doesn't get her back up if someone calls her a liar. I think she was genuinely surprised that it had me so irritated.

Not that it makes any difference than the union president knows I think the union sucks, but there's something about telling her so that made me feel a little happier. Funny thing. Maybe I should start telling everyone who sucks what I really think of them.



*

3 comments:

ac said...

You never call me. Does this mean you're busy or that I suck?
(ehC)

heartinsanfrancisco said...

You were very brave because you didn't buy into the hype that the union is God and must not be offended. You stuck by your truth, and thereby (hopefully) proved yourself to your employer, although if he/she knows you, it should not be necessary to prove anything.

You're right. Being called a liar is very serious, especially to someone who prides herself on being honest and honorable. I am proud of you and I don't suck, at least not often.

But now I wonder what you could have gotten out of the union president since she seemed to believe you must be after something tangible, which an apology is not to those who lie.

Hang in there, Lisa. You're great and they all suck wildly.

mischief said...

ac: You *do* suck, but I'm busy.

heart: Thank you *so much* for that. I sort of feel like a grown up all of a sudden. Ouch, growing pains.