Monday, September 07, 2009

white knuckles on black and blue skin

Well, this is it. It officially begins tomorrow. Little J is nervous, of course, about starting high school. The next five years of her life depend solely upon choosing the right outfit to wear tomorrow.

I'm actually nervous too, for different reasons. I'm nervous about how I'm going to get through this first semester of teaching without a spare, and still get my course work done. I'm nervous about how my students will handle it when I tell them we're doing our production inside the timetable instead of extracurricularly.

But in other ways I'm glad we're getting back to the Daily Grind. It'll be good for Little J to have friends and homework and boys to think about instead of worrying about her crazy mother. I'm hoping the other things will become much more consuming.

*

Shawn, in his infinite greed, has decided he needs a "Google Phone", whatever that is. This means I get to inherit his cast-off, the iPhone I took with me on vacation which I used to write here and which kept finishing my words incorrectly. Apparently this is exciting. I've actually only owned a cell phone for one brief period in my life when I was substitute teaching and needed it so I could leave the house occasionally. And that phone was the lowest possible form of cell phone technology. No pictures, no text, no nothing. Just a phone. This iPhone is rather intimidating. But surely I'll feel more comfortable with it if I find it a pretty case. :)


*

This afternoon we went to look at a lottery show home that overlooks the ocean. We didn't buy tickets because we don't really do stuff like that, usually, but we had to go look at it because it's being talked about so much. It was quite amazing, but the thing that really struck me about it afterward, when thinking about what I'd seen, was the fact that it wasn't really the house that was so unbelievable. Although it was newer and fancier than my house, there are a lot of things about my own house that I like better. It wasn't the house. It was the view. This was a two million dollar view. And probably worth every penny, though I have to guess that if I had that view I'd never get my ass off the couch and go out into the world. Why bother?



*

Not only does teaching start tomorrow, but so does student-ing. I already have homework.



*

2 comments:

Ellen said...

Best of luck to you both. I know you'll be awesome and she will thrive.
Love.

mischief said...

Thank you!!

xxxxx