Monday, October 27, 2008

could have made this big a difference

This afternoon after work I took Little J to the mall to try and find her the perfect Halloween costume. Being nearly twelve she is torn between wanting to be gruesome and disgusting and wanting to be sexy. The Halloween costumes at the mall looked as though a herd of wild yaks had run amok through them and we were unable to find anything other than people's elbows. We left the mall and went to the drugstore where she found a perfect compromise. A sexy ghost. Go figure.

I brought her home after that and shortly afterward the furnace guy showed up to fix our furnace (it's been broken for three days and it's been COLD!). With that started, I took off leaving Little J with Big J, so I could meet with our lawyer yet again and sign my newest affidavit. Court is scheduled for Thursday.

When I got to the lawyer's office, her secretary told me she was still working on the affidavit and needed me to go away for twenty more minutes and then come back. She suggested I go for a coffee in the little shop on the main floor of the building. I considered this briefly and then realised that I'd forgotten my wallet at home (meaning I was driving without my license). No matter; I went and sat in my vehicle and closed my eyes and pretended to be dead. It was the most peaceful twenty minutes I can remember experiencing in the last few months. When my lawyer thanked me for waiting, I said, "No, thank you."


*

No comments: