Friday, January 13, 2023

Birthday song

i have this friend who has chosen me even though i would never have chosen him. we are very very different. he is a highly religious man who lives his faith in a thousand choices he makes every day, in his choice to give the benefit of the doubt, his choice to speak gently, his choice to avoid every kind of temptation, and his true and genuine naivete. i say, we are very very different. * he influences me. i am a person who swears all the time, but not in his presence. once, at a staff party, i skipped having cigarettes with my friends because he was with me and i did not want him to see me smoke. i behave better when he is around, i speak better, i make more adult decisions. i don't want to, but he has chosen me. he seeks me out. he wants to sit beside me at lunch. he wants to be my best friend and i find myself strangely unable to disentangle myself from him. sometimes i feel like he does not truly know me, and sometimes i feel like he has seen the true me that no one else does.

No comments: