Thursday, December 22, 2022

By the second verse, dear friends, my head will burst, my life will end

M wanted me to meet him for coffee this morning. When he invited me - several days ago - I said yes and immediately began thinking about which excuse I would use to get out if it. There may have been a fifteen minute stretch over those days when I considered the possibility of actually going, but not seriously. In the end I went with the classic (sick); the pandemic has made this excuse much easier to rely upon. People no longer encourage you to take some ibuprofen and do your best. They want you to stay the hell away. It would have been cooler of me to just decline the invitation, but I haven't totally mastered that art quite yet. Sometimes I can do it really well (for example when S invited me to help him move furniture to prepare for his renovation I said hell no with gusto, while the other two meekly acquiesced) but other times it feels impossible. Especially with M, who is a weird combination of bossy and fragile. ***
*** Today S taught me how to use some digital wizardry that will allow me to have access to my university textbooks on my computer, ipad, and phone, all at once. I can even make the screen reader read the text out loud to me while I am walking. What a world. He tells me that the new AI technology will also help me write papers. I wonder where this kind of magic crosses over the line into being unethical. ***
***

No comments: