Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Who's the guy that you and I just love to adore?

This afternoon I took J to the mall (sigh) for new shorts.  She agonized over which ones to choose, but we finally found some she found acceptable.

While waiting for her at one store, a saleslady encouraged me to try on a dress I'd been looking at.  I said no, it wasn't really my style, I was just looking, but she kept pushing and then J chimed in.  I tried it on.  And I looked almost exactly like Minnie Mouse.  With some ears, a tail, and a bow on my head, I could have gotten a job working at Disneyland.  Everyone agreed it was godawful and even the saleslady laughed at me.  Very good for the self-esteem.


My parents are coming to visit starting tomorrow.  And I have spent most of this week cleaning my house in preparation.  Though I am resentful, sometimes, of the way I feel compelled to try and earn my mother's approval by having a sterile-clean home, it's also a good thing she visits once a year or I would eventually succumb to being choked to death by dust bunnies.



*

3 comments:

Secret Agent Woman said...

People visiting me is pretty much the only thing that prods me into serious cleaning.

And hey, at least you knew yourself enough to know before you tried the dress on that it wasn't you.

Therese said...

Now here is how horrible and prejudiced I am. I assumed, because of the depth of your writing, that you were kinda chubby and peculiar looking, like me. Not with soft thin legs and the ability to pull off a minnie mouse look. I am so bigoted.

mischief said...

SAW, I definitely knew the dress wasn't for me before trying it on. I just hadn't anticipated looking like Minnie Mouse!

Therese, maybe I'm just peculiar looking in a different way than you imagined? My husband's best friend calls me Olive Oyl, and my best friend says I look like my dogs (Italian Greyhounds). Which basically means spindly with big eyes. Heehee.