Monday, November 26, 2012

Shinjuku

When I see old friends I tend to worry that things will not go well.  I ask myself, what if they've changed?  Or worse, what if they have not changed?  What if they still expect us to drink ourselves into a stupor and then roam around looking for adventures?  What if they expect me to be the same as I was fifteen years ago?

I met R's plane in the late afternoon and then we drove to the ocean to walk in the mist.  (He took this photograph.)


We found a small Japanese restaurant on the Boardwalk and sat by the window drinking hot tea and eating hot soup and watching the ocean grow blacker and colder, the cold mist spreading across the street.  And talked some about back then.  And also about now.  Underlining the internal differences between then and now, and knowing each other newly and well, successfully I think.






R

Btw, I still count you as one of my best friends. I wish we could hang out and talk more often. Also, you are still a stunning woman, don't ever doubt that. Move back to *******, dammit!!!



3 comments:

Secret Agent Woman said...

So the visit was worthwhile, then?

Nic said...

I think that about G, my ex. I miss him so much and we haven't seen each other for a good couple of years. He has hardly written either because he forgets or gets distracted or something. I worry that our old jokes and the silly voices we used and our nicknames won't be funny any more.

mischief said...

SAW: Yes, it was definitely worthwhile. Not something I'd honestly want to do really often, but it was a pleasant visit.

Nic, I know exactly what you mean. And I also worry that I will have forgotten something that was important to someone else too. Because I do that.