Friday, November 30, 2012

The show is over (hallelujah).  My kids were really fantastic and worked hard, and the closing night show was really excellent.  I was proud of them, proud to have wrangled 35 kids into working together effectively and cooperatively, proud that I had something to do with them feeling so proud of themselves, proud to have helped facilitate one of those memorable high school experiences that becomes part of your core.  It was good.  But god, I'm glad it's over.

This is the first year that I have managed to get through my play with getting sick, or without, at the very least, feeling the need to take a mental health day off work to recover.  I have resorted to showing a movie during class to give me a breather -- but the movie is defensible and relevant, so I feel like I'm extraordinarily in control of my professional life at the moment.  What a strange feeling.

I think it's because I have had some help this year from the Parent Advisory Council.  Three PAC mothers have kids in my theatre program this year, and for the first time ever I have parents asking if they can help me find props and costumes, can they organize a pizza party for the kids, can they bring me a coffee?  I love this; it's a brand new phenomenon I've never experienced in my entire teaching career.  I am loving every minute of it, with the knowledge that their kids are going to graduate soon in the back of my mind so I don't get too accustomed to it.


*


No comments: