Saturday, November 24, 2012

(sometimes you can't catch your breath)

Today is J's sixteenth birthday.  I want to write all those cliche things about how time has flown and I cannot believe she is growing up so fast, but those things are obvious and I have no way of knowing if I feel them or if my brain automatically jumps to these thoughts because I have read them and heard them so many times in so many situations for as long as I can remember.

Instead I will say that she is out tonight with Shawn's stepmum, who managed to wangle last minute tickets to Cirque du Soliel, and that she took off wearing my dress, my tights, my coat, and my scarf.  She looked beautiful and I sort of wished I was going with her instead, even though it would mean being in a crowded auditorium with thousands of other people.  (Being at home with Shawn, puppies, and a glass of wine is good too.)  But sometimes it seems sad that she will probably be out more and more as she gets older and eventually won't be able to find anything remotely interesting in my closet.  I wonder if my mother ever wished she had let me borrow her clothes when I was at the age where I wanted to.




*



Rob is flying in tomorrow for the Bruce Springsteen concert (yuck) and I am meeting him at the airport so we can go for lunch or dinner or whatever while he is in town.  I have a hard time convincing myself to go out on weekends so this is a big deal.  I do not really know if my attachment is to Rob or if it is to my past.  In either case, he is the access route.  




*

2 comments:

Secret Agent Woman said...

It's nice that she feels free to borrow from you and also that you freely let her. I don't think my mother had any clothes I wanted to wear.

mischief said...

Yeah, my mother didn't have much I wanted to borrow either, but she didn't allow it anyway so it was a moot point when there was the odd thing I wished I could. I don't really understand my mother's view on that, but I think it was generational. She didn't even like it when my sister and I shared things with each other.