Wednesday, June 06, 2012

clouds in my coffee

I am wearing a Holter monitor now.  The electrodes are stuck to me with stickers, kind of like when I was a kid and got good marks on a spelling test and the teacher would stick a smiley face to my hand.  Except these ones are stuck to my chest, and I don't think these stickers will come off nearly as easily as those smilies did.  I think I might lose some skin when they are removed.

The electrodes are a little itchy, but not very bothersome, and the monitor itself is pretty much trouble free.  It's sort of like being a 12-year-old in the 80s all over again.  That is, it's reminiscent of having a walkman stuck to my hip.  My only concern is the "event" button that I am supposed to push if I notice any symptoms like dizziness, chest pain, shortness of breath, and so forth.  Then I am to record what I was doing while experiencing the symptoms.  (I find this a bit odd because if I actually experienced any of those things I think I would be frightened and want to go to the hospital rather than begin writing a journal entry.)  But my more pressing concern (haha) is the fact that I think DorianDog may have pressed the event button this afternoon when he greeted me rather overenthusiastically by flinging himself bodily against me.  What will the doctor make of this?


Beyond that I am also wondering if the fact that J nearly gave me a heart attack this afternoon will show up in the readings.  You know those jumpy people that have crazy startle responses?  I am not usually one of those people, but today I was one of those people.  Probably because I had too much coffee, and perhaps because I was a little hyperaware of my heart already.  So when J got out of the car in the garage and brushed against the garden shovel causing it to crash loudly to the cement floor, I felt my heart give a giant squeeze to let me know it did not appreciate being surprised like that.  I should have pressed the event button at that point but I did not because I was too busy making sure we were all still alive.



I don't know what will come of this little adventure but right now I'm uncomfortably considering the possibility that I should cut back on the caffeine, which would make me sad.  I like caffeine.


*





6 comments:

heartinsanfrancisco said...

Please keep us posted on this situation. It sounds quite bothersome but hopefully, useful. Sending love.

mischief said...

Thanks Susan, and love to you too! I hope my regular doctor will get the results of this test soon and be able to shed some light on whatever is going on...

Jerry said...

I guess I should have started reading from the bottom up. I hope more explanation will be provided about the need for over-the-boob stickies.

I have been absent for a bit and slowly trying to catch up with the important people.

mischief said...

Welcome back, and I hope you are doing well. Thank you for putting me on the Important People list.

Nic said...

Sweet Mischief, I do feel for you. All this must be making you feel very squiffy. I was going to ask and then I saw what you had written after the photograph of your breasts. I had to knock my coffee right back because my heart would leap about at the rate of knots. When I realised there was a direct correlation, I happily drank far less of it as it was far less scary a prospect than thinking I was going to collapse. I now drink two real ones in the morning, and if I want any more (and I generally don't as I am a tea drinker really) then I drink decaffeinated (in truth, I can't tell the difference).

Give it a go, perhaps. My heart is less noisy about everything now. Well, apart from when it is saddened by life and I find it weepeth bitterly and a drowsy numbness pains; the weariness, the fever, and the fret...Mischief! The very word is like a bell...

I do apologise. I went all Keats.

mischief said...

Ooh I enjoyed the brief poetry... do not apologize for it. I loved it. And I do love coffee. It's not even that I drink that much of it. I drink one a day, though granted it's a great big one. It wakes me up in the morning. But I do notice that after I finish it I sometimes feel jittery. My strange heart behaviour may have nothing to do with coffee... but I guess I'm just looking for ideas that are within my control, like coffee. Summer, when I do not have to work, would probably be a wonderful time to make a switch to decaffeinated.