Sunday, September 11, 2011

she acts like we never have met

The seals poked their little heads up out of the water to see who was there, and then floated effortlessly alongside the kayak watching us.  I was fascinated by their whiskery faces.  Every time I reached for my camera they disappeared below the waterline.  Camera shy.

We spent two hours on the water; today my arms and back are sore.  The good kind of sore, deep muscle ache that means you really moved.  I wondered what it would be like to live on the tiny island with the herons and the seals.

*

In the evening I met T and B for drinks, too many drinks, and today I find myself a little wobbly on the pins as a result.  But what other way is there to get through such a thing?  I haven't seen B since about '97; he is in town just for a week and staying at T's place.  I watched the arc of my emotional reactions to them both as the wine made its way through my blood.

Shawn sent me text messages throughout the evening to ensure I was okay, a sweet but completely unnecessary precaution.  It might be emotionally risky to do this kind of thing, but they intend no harm.


*


4 comments:

heartinsanfrancisco said...

This is intriguing, but there are key pieces missing, like who are these people to you? I'm glad for Shawn's loving texts, and also glad that they proved unnecessary.Is T the person referred to in your title? Or perhaps one of the seals?

mischief said...

I think I left it out because I was uninspired to write all the backstory. Or maybe because I just do not really know who they are to me and am unspired to work it through just yet.


I'm a lazy writer.
I wish I was a seal.

Jerry said...

I am jealous of your seals. What neat companions to have on your water venture.

Sometimes it is good to visit updated history, so you can update yours. I suspect...I hope that you had a good time.

mischief said...

I was very pleased to see the seals too. I know nothing about their migratory habits but I hope they will stay a little longer so I can see them again before it starts to get colder.

It was a good time, although I was resistant in the beginning. People that know me learn they have to push through the reluctance because I never want to see anyone. They knew me before I developed the reluctance but they still seemed to know the rule about being insistent.