Tuesday, September 14, 2010

i just want to dance in your tangles to give me some reason to move



This is Pepper. He's a Norfolk Terrier, my parents' dog. When I was visiting them this summer so we could attend my sister's memorial service, I spent a lot of time in this park walking and/or running with Pepper. He doesn't get tired, at least not that I managed to discover. My parents' house backs on this park. Nice isn't it? But I do not miss it. It's buried in snow most of the year.

There are other things I miss. I miss the great big sky. And I miss loud thunderstorms and I miss there being space, countryside between cities, so when you're driving you can tell when you have left the city limits and when you are entering somewhere new. I miss the lonely ache when I feel November bearing down and the daylight shrinking away; I miss the first cold day the furnaces kick in and the air is filled with the scent of their awakening sighs. I miss 17th Avenue and maybe I miss those sassy black and white magpies that steal dog food. I miss Colleen.




*

4 comments:

secret agent woman said...

It looks like a beautiful place, but I couldn't last long in somewhere very cold.

mischief said...

There is something about cold I did not know before I moved away from it, and that is that cold feels very very clean. Maybe the same way that boiling things sterilizes them, the deep freeze also seems to have the same effect on my pscyhe. I would never choose to live in the cold again but there are some sensations and thoughts and emotions you can only really experience when it's cold.

Jerry said...

Space...that is what I covet.

mischief said...

Space is the very reason I wanted the house we live in now which has a quarter acre of lawn around it. We have enough yard that we can legally own a goat inside the city limits. It's a serious job mowing the lawn but I *LOVE* it. (As soon as I found out we could own a goat I started campaigning to get one. For some reason my husband is against it.)