Friday, June 25, 2010

il ne rest que de la poussière

The school board keeps absence records for the staff the same way the staff keeps absence records for the students. Today I looked at my record. I didn't miss very many days because I usually don't, but what I found interesting was that I could use my notes here to track the fact that there wasn't a single absence this year that could be attributed to illness. One was simply playing hookey to go play with friends who were visiting from out of town. One was a court day for the custody hearing (legit), these last few were bereavement. But most of them were days I had pretended to be sick and stayed home to write papers. I guess I don't actually get sick very often. But I feel sick today for real.

Today I arrived early for work somehow, wasted time for awhile, felt increasingly sick, and then without thinking about it just stood up, locked my office, and went home. I didn't tell anyone I was leaving, I just left. I'm not teaching right now and I have nothing to invigilate. Still, I'm supposed to be at work. This was stupid because if I explained I didn't sleep last night because J was having a bad night and that I was feeling ill, admin would have let me go home anyway. But I was too tired to talk, too tired to explain myself. At home I slept on the couch because I felt I couldn't make it up the stairs and I wanted J to know I was there with her even though I was a zombie. Then after three hours of that I came back to work. I still feel sick and zombie-like but somehow I convinced myself to be a zombie in my office instead of at home. J was feeling better.

I have to go to commencement tonight. Fortunately I just stand there and hand out pieces of paper. No talking. Just brain eating.

I got 93 on the paper I wrote in the two days following my sister's death. I don't really see how that is possible. I can't even remember what I wrote.

Three more days of work.


*

No comments: