Friday, June 25, 2010

I snuck out of commencement early too. Once I'd handed out the scholarships that were related to my program and posed for all the necessary pictures I cut out the back way. I wanted to get ahead of the wave of traffic that would keep me stuck in the parking lot for an extra half hour at the end of the night, and I had no real interest in hearing the valedictorian's address. Kid gave lots of speeches in my class last semester and I didn't think he was so funny. Since when are valedictorians chosen democratically anyway? Isn't it supposed to have something to do with achievement? Not that he's a bad kid or anything but he doesn't make much of a role model.

I got home just before 10:00 and had dinner: popcorn and a big glass of wine. Shawn, a man who has been known to eat licorice for breakfast on occasion, gave me a hard time about this, but I didn't listen. It was the first time I've felt like eating anything in days and days and days. There was no way I was going to keep that feeling if I tried to gag down the carnivorous delight he was trying to convince me to eat instead. Sometimes I like it when he nags me like this even though it's a little irritating. One good thing about not eating for a long time is that the wine really does its thing. But tonight Carolyn pinched my arm and told me I was skinny "and not in a good way" which is probably a statement worth paying attention to. I have to admit that I might be looking a little... wiry. And not in a good way. I need to start sleeping more, eating more. So tonight I am breaking the fast with popcorn and wine. Tomorrow I'll do better.





*

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

At night, when I wake up with nightmares, I can soothe myself by imagining us together, very tiny, side by side in our walnut shell. You feel like flannel.

I love the fact that you exist.

heartinsanfrancisco said...

Be kind to yourself. You're doing as well as you can. We can always do better, and when we're ready, we do. Be well.

mischief said...

D: I do feel like flannel most of the winter. Some winter days I get in pajamas at 4:30 in the afternoon when I get home from work. In the summer I'm a little more cotton-y but still pajama-y. I like sleeping tucked in a walnut shell and having good dreams because you're close by. xioxio

S: Thank you for that. I came back to read your words again before I found my dinner which was much better than yesterday's. Crackers, cheese, grapes. I think I would have liked to have you over for dinner.