Saturday, May 02, 2009

it's really only a one person job

This afternoon after dropping off Little J at her singing lesson, Shawn and I went grocery shopping. I became completely distracted by the house plants that were for sale in the centre of the store. A tiny little banzai tree caught my attention, delicate and perfect. I was almost no help, maybe even a hindrance, to Shawn as he tried to load the groceries into the car. I was cradling my baby tree. Just as he was about to pull away, a tiny little insect crawled out of the tree and ran across my thumbnail. I leaned in closer to examine it, squinting as it disappeared back into the plant pot. I looked closer. The dirt at the root of the plant was alive with tiny legs. Spider mites! Billions of them.

I took the tree back and the lady behind the counter suggested that I pick out a different tree. I tried to explain to her that since all the trees were sitting together, side by side in their display, that if one was infested, they all would be infested. She nodded sympathetically and put the little tree back in its spot for someone else to purchase.

Don't buy plants at the grocery store.

*

C has returned to her threats of taking us to court again. I try not to let her stress me out anymore.



*

It's raining tonight. I can smell the sea air blowing in. Sometimes living here is so perfect that I can't stand it.



*

1 comment:

Ellen said...

I wish I were there to smell the sea with you. I blogged, just remember, you asked for it. ~huggggggggggggs~