Wednesday, December 12, 2007

just like going fishing

Opening Night.... is over. Hallelujah. Opening nights are always jittery and in spite of a few little glitches, the kids did a good job and I was proud of them. And I think things will get smoother each time. So one down and three to go, and only three until I'll be able to sleep again without hearing the Pink Panther theme music haunting my dreams, punctuated by cries of, "I can't find find my hat!"(da dum da dum) "I can't find my shoes!" (da dum da dum) "Who took my script?" (doo dee doo dee doo dee dooo dooo doooo dooooo ....)


*

After hatching a brilliant plan for Future Education, I faxed my coursework approval form to the professional association to ensure they would give me credit for the courses I wanted to take. And strangely enough, they faxed back a statement saying that the extra coursework they insisted I had to take within the next three years is suddenly no longer required. Weird.

Of course it doesn't change the fact that I still want to do the Masters degree, but it now means that I can study whatever I want to study instead of trying to squeeze myself around their requirements and make it look like I'm doing their thing while trying to do my thing. It means no brilliant plan needed hatching in the first place, which is nice.

*

This morning Shawn took the garbage to the curb in shorts and a t-shirt, and came back inside and bellowed triumphantly, "I LOVE it here!" It was -14 degrees Celsius back home today, which isn't even cold by Alberta standards. Here it was +4. I love it here too.

I'm astonished now that I am living it by how much of an effect weather really has on my mood. People said I would find the perpetual winter cloudiness hard to manage here, but so far, I would take a hundred consecutive cloudy days over that Arctic cold that burns your skin and makes your eyelashes freeze and break off. Here, even when it's cloudy, the grass is green.

*


Sometimes I still have moments where I think about what I miss. And I try not to dwell on those moments too long because they're unproductive. I don't want to wallow, and yet, meeting them with personal honesty has its value too. I am being honest with myself in admitting I think about the losses. I think about them. And then I try to remember what I still have.


*



No comments: