Sunday, December 09, 2007

Eat, Pray, Love

Sometimes I change my mind about things very abruptly. Moreover, I change my feelings about things, and that is confusing because feeling incredibly strong(ly) about something doesn't mean that I can't feel just as adamant about the opposite point of view in short order. And things can change without a reason, except perhaps the weather, or some commercial on the t.v. as I pass through the room, or the fact that my teeth are sensitive. That's how it is.

My feelings have changed about some things lately. It doesn't matter that they've changed because I don't have any power to alter the way these things have turned out, but it changes how I feel about that fact. Feeling like you can't change things doesn't matter when you don't care about the outcome, or better yet, are pleased with it. But feeling powerless when you wish you could change something - and you can't - is difficult.

*

I found the book for my new book club today. It's called Eat, Pray, Love and if it lives up to the unspoken promise in its title, it will be a cheerful light little read to enjoy over the holidays. I don't yet know exactly who belongs to the book club, other than the women who invited me to join, but I am assuming no men are involved based purely upon the list I've seen of their past and present selections.

I look forward to reading for pleasure again. I look forward to spending time with people for pleasure again too.


*

We got in line this morning at 10:00am with the idea that we would avoid Christmas lineups by being there when the doors open. Of course other people had thought of this brilliant plan too and it wasn't nearly as quiet as we'd hoped, but at least our jobs for the day were done early. Christmas shopping pains me immeasurably because of the crowds and the heat and the lines and the incessant holiday music and Salvation Army bell jingling.


*




No comments: