Monday, June 25, 2007

This is my life

At 11:15, I loaded all the dogs into the travel crate, got in the vehicle and drove them to the wildlife preserve where it is okay to walk dogs as long as they are leashed. We strolled around awhile, batting at mosquitoes and killing time until 12:00 when the realtor had promised me I could come home.

Fabulous luck that Puppy D managed to find an enormous pile of horse dung (I think it was horse but didn't check too closely) and roll through it several times before I realised what he was doing. Ugh.

Leaving a wake of dung-stink, we made our way back to the vehicle; I loaded them all back into their travel crate. D, of course, managed to get dung on me, the blankets inside the crate, and both other dogs. The inside of the new Element smells great now too.

I drove back home and realised, when I pulled into the driveway, that the realtor was still there with his clients. Not wanting to sour any potential sale with the stench I was carrying, I left again and went for a little drive around the block thinking they'd be gone in ten minutes or so. When I returned the second time they were still there. And a third time and a fourth time, during which I stopped to fill up with gas since I was wasting it all driving around in circles. A fifth time brought us to 12:50 at which point I called Shawn on my cell phone to ask him if the realtor had called to make an offer because these people were STILL in the house. Shawn said no, and sent the realtor a text message to let him know I was waiting to get back in. (The realtor, it turned out, had left his phone inside his car. Of course.)

Having grown weary and annoyed with driving in circles with my horrible-smelling cargo, I abandoned hope and pulled up at the end of my street where I could see the realtor's car and waited for him to go away. Another ten minutes later I saw some people emerge from the house and begin walking up and down and through our yard inspecting each tree and shrub.

Finally, finally, an hour and forty-five minutes after I'd left the house (for an alleged half hour tour) I was allowed back into my own home. The realtor pulled up behind me and said they were considering it and would get back to him later tonight. Sigh. You'd think after that long they'd know whether they wanted it or not. I'm praying this is it so this doesn't have to become a daily routine.

I've bathed all the dogs and they still smell like horse-dung. And so do I. This is my life now.


*

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh god -- what a comedy of errors. Why do dogs do that? Why? Why?

mischief said...

Yes, why do they do that. And why do we choose to share our living quarters with them?

mischief said...

PS: I'm glad you made it back out of the tub.