Monday, June 18, 2007

sheer natural backdrop

I told a doctor once that I thought I was allergic to Cottonwood. He asked how I knew this and I told him my hayfever was always at its worst when the little fluffs of cotton were blowing all over the place. He said I couldn't be allergic to those unless I was eating them because the pieces were too big to be inhaled. An interesting point I hadn't considered.

Nonetheless, whatever I am allergic to pollinates at the same time the Cottonwood drops cotton... and most likely that's ragweed, though it could be any number of things or any combination.

Hayfever medicine is one of the only drugs I take. I do so because my allergies are so bad that without it my eyes are so itchy that I fantasize about pulling them out of my head and running them under cold water. The sneezing I can put up with - but the itchy eyes drive me insane.

This season I tried something new in my ongoing search for an effective hayfever medication, and found Benadryl. Take two with water. When I take these pills, I fall almost immediately into a deep uninterrupted sleep that lasts, on its own, indefinitely.

When I awoke this morning at 7:00 to the sound of Shawn's alarm clock, I was able to fall back asleep again immediately, so quickly in fact that I didn't even hear him leave. Now it's just past 8:30 and I still can't seem to get my eyelids all the way open. No sneezing or itching... but no being awake and alert either. Seems too high a price to pay. I could be itch and sneeze free if I was dead, too, and there doesn't seem to be much of a difference. I'm done with Benadryl.

*

We've decided to list our house for sale as of next Monday. That is, the house we're currently living in will be up for sale. I dread that part of the experience, the part where you have to be ready to pack up and leave the house at a moment's notice when the realtor calls and says they're bringing someone by. Our realtor has promised us that he will be the only one with access and that means we can have far greater control over the comings and goings than last time, and I'm hoping we sell quickly so we won't need to live on pins and needles for too long.

As for the new house, the beautiful new house we designed and will never get to live in, it still isn't finished being built. That means we can't sell it because it still, technically, doesn't belong to us. We aren't permitted to sell it until we have made the full down payment (dependent on the sale of this house) and taken possession of it. That, of course, still doesn't mean we'll ever get to live in it. Just that we'll own it on paper so we can sell it to someone else. I'm sort of jealous of whoever gets to have our pretty pretty pretty new house. However, at the rate it's being built, no one will have it for years.

Our position is precarious as we look for yet another house in Vancouver. Though we've done well on our investments, we are in the position of having most of our dollars tied up in property. With the possession of house 2 dependent on the sale of house 1, and the purchase of house 3 dependent on the sale of house 2, we find ourselves somewhat stuck. Shawn's father found us a broker in Vancouver who is working out creative solutions and inventing things like double-bridge financing to try and make things work.

I'm not looking forward to Shawn being gone and being alone here without my family or friends nearby - but I believe it's going to be the right thing for both of us in the near future. That has to be enough motivation to get through it.

*

I'm applying for jobs there now, already. And already feeling a sense of holding my breath. I remember when I was younger and applying for jobs like working at the post office or the daycare centre... I always got every job I applied for. It gave me the sense that I was invincible. What I didn't realise then was that I was probably, in many cases, the only applicant.

It's different now. I'm in competition. And I'm in competition with people who are more confident than I, more self-assured and more convinced of their rightness. People who look comfortable in expensive suits and high heels and acrylic fingernails. Or neckties.

I found a posting for something that seemed so right for me that I've been thinking about it ever since. I have all the "required" and all the "preferred" education and experience. But I can't walk in high heels and I'm shy when I first meet people. I know these things count against me. I'm also at the bottom of their preferred hiring list because I'm an outside applicant and they fully admit they give preference to their own people in a specific hierarchy that places me in the last out of seven categories. I might not even get an interview for which I would need to overcome shyness and wobbliness. And still, it's a perfect job for me. I'm just not sure I'm perfect for it. Or for anything else for that matter.


*


No comments: