Friday, June 01, 2007

Setting free the bears


This is Wreck Beach in Vancouver, BC., most famous for the fact that it is a "clothing optional" beach. Apparently, tourists from all around the world come to Wreck Beach to try topless sunbathing for the first time. I can't imagine myself doing that knowing all I know about skin cancer, but I can certainly imagine going hiking on the rocky side of the beach. I can imagine running along the sand.

















Shawn phoned and said the interview was for a position he didn't realise he was going to be considered for. It's a "global" position, which means that though he would be working out of the Vancouver office, his work would dictate policy and structure for all the satellite companies around the world and that he would have five local teams working under his direction. It's a prestigious position. He doesn't know when they'll get back to him with an answer but at this point what seems most important to me is that he knows he is successful. It's not about money or status. It's just about the fact that he can look at himself and know he is good at something that he cares about. Good enough to be interviewed by a world-class company for a high level position. Two years ago he didn't want to come to my staff Christmas party because he hated it when people asked him about his career.


*

No comments: