Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Line my eyes and call me pretty

This morning the phone rang while Shawn was in the shower. I picked it up. Hello?

The man on the other end of the line said, May I speak to your Daddy please?

This is something that happens to me every once in awhile. I guess I have a young-sounding voice (which is nice when I feel like being young, but frustrating when I'm trying to be a thirty-two year old). It hasn't happened in awhile though, and I was taken off guard.

Long pause.

Finally I decided not to play games and just asked in my most grownup voice, Do you mean Shawn?

The man said, Oh I'm sorry, honey. Is he your stepfather?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember one of the most poignant things I ever read about you was written by your friend who talked about your voice on the phone. She expected you to sound like a nun all composed and serene the way you write, but she said you sounded like a young happy cheerleader. I loved that and it made me cry for some reason. I was glad you sounded happy.

mischief said...

I remember that - it was special to me too. I think she gave me too much credit, but love makes it possible to find ordinary things extraordinary, doesn't it?