Monday, August 28, 2006

The Finer Things

Damn. Real life already? Happened way too fast, but maybe it will help me overcome the last of my jetlag and disorientation.

The car is behaving strangely. Poor girl, she's old, she has the right to be strange. (Everyone else in the family is strange so she might as well join in.) But we're taking her to the doctor tomorrow morning just to be sure she's okay. I'm aggravated that we have to take her to the doctor because I need her to take me places tomorrow, like the dentist's office and downtown to pick up application forms. Shawn says the car doctor will give us a courtesy car which makes me nervous because I feel comfortable in my little baby car and I'm always nervous about driving an automatic because I'm so used to my little stick shift. I feel like whining but Shawn is delighted about the whole thing and here's why: the car doctor is located beside the best breakfast restaurant in the world.... and Shawn is so thrilled about the prospect of the world's best breakfast that he doesn't care that the car is sick. What a crazy man I married.

This afternoon I went to the recreation centre near my house and paid for a drop-in yoga class. It was a mix of total experts and complete novices. I am a novice in the extreme. In fact I have no idea why I decided to take a yoga class. About halfway through it I realised I meant to take pilates. The yoga was relaxing (so much so I could easily have drifted off to sleep if the instructor would have stopped talking) but it wasn't what I was looking for. I was also confused about the difference between Hatha and Ashtanga. I don't know which one I ended up doing. Suffice it to say I was upside down a lot with my butt in the air. So tonight I found the pilates class I MEANT to take and Shawn, for reasons known only to himself, decided to come with me.

The pilates class was really good and I signed up for a registered class starting in mid-September. A lot of the exercises were like things I did when I was taking dance, and it felt good to stretch those muscles that get used so seldom. The instructor kept telling us to "work the core" and now Shawn is lying on the floor moaning loudly, "Owwww... ouch! Ohhh, owww! My CORE!" to the extreme joy of the puppies who are licking his nose in happiness.

Joie de vivre!

No comments: