Monday, February 19, 2018

sooner than you think

Not to jinx it but today I managed to set my own schedule at work and to catch up on some paperwork because there were no crises.  None!  Only one small panic attack and a complaint about a stressful weekend with family members fighting.  Beyond that, I did my paper and got caught up.  I'd be bored if it was always that quiet, but today I was very grateful for the time.

The one who had the bad weekend... he told me that his stepfather calls him "Nips" in reference to the fact that stepdad thinks the kid's nipples are inordinately large, and humiliates him about it at every opportunity.  Hearing this kind of thing makes me so angry.  How can an adult person think this is an acceptable way to treat a self-conscious, shy fourteen year old?  Does he want the child to hate his body?  Does he want the child to hate him?  Why would anyone do this?

In the big picture, this isn't a big thing.  I have kids in foster homes, and kids whose parents are drug addicted and physically violent.  But it still makes me mad.  I want to meet this stepparent and figure out what he's most self-conscious about and mention it loudly until he slinks away in embarrassment.


*

No comments: