Thursday, April 24, 2014

counting days

I am struggling with being at work right now.  It is astonishing how overnight a place can go from feeling like home to feeling hostile and awful.  I do not want to be there, not at all.  Each day I force myself to go, but it hurts.

On top of my personal drama, the union and government are back at it, and we are in job action.  Again.  A couple of weeks of truculence aimed at administrators is where we begin, and then progress to rotating strikes, which are likely to interrupt the rehearsal process for my play.  The play I do not want to work on any longer.

I held a meeting with my actors yesterday and told them about the possibility of their play being derailed.  I also told them with great candor that I am falling apart, a bit, and do not have the energy to carry them.  We voted on how to proceed.  Secretly I hoped they would vote to cancel the show, but bless them and their actor spirits, they voted for The Show Must Go On! so we went on with rehearsal. And true to their promise, they worked hard enough that I could focus on holding myself together, something that is presently requiring most of my energy.



*

No comments: