Thursday, March 13, 2014

tap in

So here's what happened, sorta.  I am a direct line from union to staff, meaning it is my job to deliver the union's message and help them interpret it.  (Sometimes the union is displeased with the fact that I take that second step because it means that people come up with their own opinions instead of my telling them what their opinions should be.)  Anyway, I wrote something to help my staff understand the latest, as we are poised to strike.  Somehow my written explanation got leaked to the press, and within 48 hours of my having written it, it was all over the news, being referred to as "the mysterious document".  Many people in grey suits had copies of it, and were discussing it in legislature.  Many news reporters had it.  Many many newspapers printed it.  All very startling.  Perhaps I am more naive than I think I am; when I wrote and distributed this document I really just thought I was helping my staff understand a set of complex issues.  Apparently I actually released a whole lot of terribly secret information.  Oops.


*


Went to the art gallery yesterday as a teacher chaperone - which was a very welcome break from the classroom.   I think I like Art students better than Drama students at this point in my career.  I feel as though I have lost control of my program because Crazy Sue is still entitled to her job, even though she chooses not to do it.  This means we MUST assign those blocks to a substitute teacher for eternity, or until Crazy Sue relinquishes them.  And that means I will never get to have those classes, even though I am more qualified to teach them than Crazy Sue and certainly more invested than any substitute teacher on a temporary contract.  And again, my union protects those who need to be snipped.



*


Only five days 'til Europe.


*

3 comments:

Secret Agent Woman said...

I remember once talking to upper management about organizing fellow workers (I just meant meeting as a staff) and they got it in their heads I was trying to unionize and threatened to fire me. Sheesh.

Unknown said...

Hilarious, you may have been a freedom fighter in your past life. Possible career change? Union leader.

mischief said...

Secret Agent, that's very funny. Unions really scare employers, don't they? I am amazed, at times, by the vitriol between my union and the employer, both of whom strike me as irrational and infantile.

Paul, that made me laugh! I wonder how one actually becomes a union leader? I have angered my union a lot over the past few years by debating their mindless adherence to out-of-date protocols. So I have people on both sides of this argument who think I am horrible. Maybe I could go rogue and start my own union. :)