Saturday, March 29, 2014

Europe

Italy - Milan was beautiful, and Cinque Terre was totally unbelievable.  I believed I could live life at this pace, particularly in the off-season, with so few people around.  I could even climb 380 steps every day if I needed to, to get that peace, and space, and silence.

Monaco - Monte Carlo was simultaneously beautiful and disgusting, all that opulence and flaunting of money was a bit nauseating.  I enjoyed it thoroughly; I would never live there.

France - Nice was also lovely, more like a real city, busy but liveable.  I managed better here because I could speak the language and read the signs.  My travelling companions were less keen on France than I was.  Vence, in particular, was fantastic.  Living in a tiny, quiet, medieval village would be okay with me.

Spain - I loved Barcelona, loved the excitement downtown, the inexplicable parades, spontaneous protests and demonstrations, the gorgeous buildings, the cliffs of Monteserrat.  But Spain was cold.  And it was even colder in Madrid.  The Royal Palace was astounding, as was the Prado Museum.  Watching football at the stadium was like nothing I have ever experienced in my life.

Then Lufthansa went on strike and things went a bit awry.  But we got an extra free day in Madrid to see the Templo de Debod, an ancient Egyptian temple, and time to wander aimlessly sipping cappuccino and watching people.

The journey home was hairy as a result, a patchwork travel itinerary which landed us in the States instead of Canada, where my luggage went missing, and capped off with a three hour bus ride on a broken bus which honked every time the driver adjusted the steering wheel.  It was all worth it.


*

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I think one of the greatest benefits to travel is leaving your life behind, although, there probably were subtle reminders from having a party in tow. Although, having a party in tow, might have made the scenes that you in more fun, going through similar experiences with others. Either way, sounds fantastic. Nice way to spend a few weeks. Maybe you can get yourself on the board for next year, and start putting a few new ideas out there. India would be nice...

mischief said...

Absolutely. Travelling in Europe is one of the most "stretching" things I have experienced, as it forces me to mental, spiritual, and physical places I do not usually go. Having travelling companions does change the experience, of course. In some ways it supports me, and in some ways it impedes me. But in all ways it pushes me, and I appreciate that.

Next year is already in the works. Though I would love love love to go to India, higher powers than me have already decided it shall be Sicily, Greece, and perhaps Turkey. I'm all signed up.

Secret Agent Woman said...

I love Europe - I spent a year in Switzerland with a side trip to France and England and have also done the Greece-Turkey trip. I need to go back.

mischief said...

Switzerland would be wonderful too -- I hope I will eventually get there. Yes, travelling Europe is such a wonderful experience; I am surprised it took me this long in my life to do it. But now I feel pretty committed to doing it on a regular basis.