Monday, March 31, 2014

for all of us

Vandals have damaged the lions in Stanley Park, smashing off their faces.  According to the newspaper, it isn't the first time the lions have been attacked like this.  I try to get myself inside the mind of someone who makes the decision to do this.  Unlike going at a wall (or a statue) with a can of spray paint, this kind of vandalism requires more forethought, more planning.  Presumably it requires acquiring and lugging heavy tools to the site, and also, presumably, a certain degree of anger.  But why.

I vandalised a wall, once, when I was in high school, which is why I feel as though I should be able to understand the lion-smasher's motivation.  I took a thick, black marker and wrote in enormous block capital letters something I thought was profound and poetic.  Something I thought might turn the stupid world around and help it understand.  When I returned to the scene of the crime half an hour later (as criminals are wont to do) I was greatly disappointed to find my pain had been erased easily, without leaving the slightest trace.  A fuzzy cloth and a spray of some sort of chemical had taken it completely away.

So I see how a vandal chooses to make a bolder statement, a statement that is not so easily erased.  But I wonder if this statement is also poetic and profound, filled with pain and pleading.  Or is it just stupidity.




*

4 comments:

Secret Agent Woman said...

It's stupid and mean-spirited, in my book. I get that kids do it, and I can over look adolescent silliness, but when adults vandalize, it leaves me feeling sickened. Graffiti on walls can be lovely street art, so I don't mind that. But destroying something? No.

mischief said...

Yes, that's the thing. I assume this has to be the work of someone older because it would require transporting some sort of heavy equipment (in a vehicle) to do this sort of damage. The forethought required should really prevent this sort of vandalism, because while thinking through all the details I'd expect a person to also think about potential consequences and realise the absurdity of doing such a thing. But we're not talking about reasonable people, I guess. It doesn't make sense.

Unknown said...

I remember seeing the burnt ashes of a library in Afghanistan on TV. The remnants of half burnt books and ashes on the floor. It was left in this state, they way the fire had left it, because no one knew what to do next. I think that expression needs an outlet but sometimes that expression is misguided. The council will repair the statue.

mischief said...

Ahh book burning, probably the worst kind of vandalism. In that case I'm more certain of the message that was intended. You're right about the lions being taken care of, but unfortunately they have been determined to be unfixable, so they must be replaced.