Saturday, June 22, 2013

Warehouse

When I was about nineteen I briefly dated a bartender who worked at the bar where I very nearly lived.  I was young and stupid enough to think there was something special about being chosen by this bartender, a man who spent his working life with drunken women flirting with him and trying to capture his attention.  Because he chose me.  I do not remember if he was attractive, if I liked him, or much about him.  Just that he worked at the bar.  I remember his first name.

He had a motorcycle rather than a car, which is ridiculous when you live in a city that is buried in snow eight months a year, but you know, he was a bartender.  He was significantly older than I was.  And I expected my mother to protest (mostly about the bike) but she did not.  She may have been too busy coping with my sister's more dangerous exploits to notice mine, or she may have secretly hoped I would be killed and ease her parental burden.  I dated him briefly enough that I never found out how he got to work in the long, long prairie winter.

Riding on the back of a motorcycle is overrated.  I know women who find it exhilerating and sexy.  I do not.  I might find driving a motorcycle exhilerating and sexy, but riding on the back of one is nothing special.  He used to become irritated with me because I wouldn't lean in to the curves with him.

He kept telling me how important it was to go with the bike, to let my body relax and lean in.  And each time he said it, I would resolve to do it, to trust him, to lean into the turn.  But every time it happened I could not stop myself from fighting him, fighting against the bike and its driver and especially against gravity, all conspiring to pull me down into the asphalt where I knew I would break and swallow my teeth.

He would stop the bike afterward and turn around to face me, talking loudly so I could hear him through both our helmets.  But undoubtedly talking loudly because he was frustrated with my mulish refusal to follow his explicit instructions.  You have to lean into the turn, he would say.  And I would nod, and promise to do it next time.  

I never did it.

(I am saying this because you wondered if you noticed yourself changing, if you would have time to stop the change before it overtook you.)

If you were to ask him about me today, he would say, No, I do not remember her name, No, I do not remember what she looked like.  But I definitely do remember that she would never lean into the turns.



*

4 comments:

Bee said...

I don't think this post was meant for me. But it is so close to what I was thinking about that I wonder if it was.

Secret Agent Woman said...

My former boyfriend took me out on his motorcycle on occassion and I always found it both terrifying and weirdly sexy. I think I loved having my legs wrapped around his hard thighs, and loved that he would reach back to pat me reassuringly when he felt me tense up. But oh my God, I was never able to lean into the curves or stop visualizing the horrible things that might happen if we crashed.

Therese said...

Another gem. I love finding these. This is going to stick in my head, the mental image of a young woman tensing up at each curve.

And as usual, this and the one above it give me more questions. Your mother and sister? Would love to learn more about them.

mischief said...

Bee, I often think that books I read were written especially for me. Especially when I read Murakami. Especially when I read John Irving. Or Sylvia Plath. The fact that they didn't hear my question doesn't mean they cannot answer it.

SAW, I like the idea of it being sexy to ride on the back of a bike, but for me it just isn't. I want to drive, or not participate at all. Which is senseless because I am certainly more likely to cause an accident than anyone.

Therese, my mother isn't in that post but she is an interesting woman, probably the most interesting. I will write more about my sister and my mother (and the rest of the cast) maybe one day. Meanwhile my mother has written a book about us and is about to have it published. This frightens me.