Friday, May 20, 2011

i love the way you lie.

I decided to respond to T because I was feeling guilty.  And because, to be honest, I wanted to decide what to say for myself instead of letting him decide what Quiet means.  I talked about Topsy & Tim at the Seaside rather than about what he wrote to me, and this was one of those things that might appear quirky and cute but is really just a distraction from Things I Do Not Want To Talk About. 



*

This is my fourth year working at the school I'm at, and having invested enough time to earn a permanent contract for the first time in a very long time, I have also invested enough time to have infiltrated the Cool Teachers Club.  (The first rule of Cool Teachers Club is Don't Talk About Cool Teachers Club.  I might get kicked out for this.)

You know the Cool Teachers by the way they get to go on all the cool field trips, the kind of field trips that allow them to wear sunglasses and stick their legs in hot tubs laughing and talking to each other and ignoring the 100 teenagers they are supposed to be supervising.  You can tell them apart from the Uncool Teachers who do not get invited to go on the cool field trips, who instead get recruited to supervise the Kids Who Got Left Behind at School Club because they're allergic to bees, grass, peanut butter, sunshine, and fun. This year I was promoted; I get to supervise the year end water slide field trip.  Not sure what I did to up my status this year but I'm looking forward to taking my place in my new clique next to Playoff Beard, Tattoo Sleeves, Olympic Almost, Stand Up Comedian, and Smokes a Lot of Pot.  (My name will be Lawn Tractor.)

There are six teachers in the Cool Teachers Club, four males and, including me, two females.  It took them far too long to notice how extraordinarily cool I am, but I have finally arrived.  I wonder what more is left for me to achieve in this world.


*

4 comments:

heartinsanfrancisco said...

Nothing.

Is it possible to rest on laurels while immersed in a hot tub or careening down a water slide?

glnroz said...

lol,,,lol,,,lol,,,(chuckle). I can see you now; in the "Cool Teachers" lounge---the thrill of chaulk dust and the smell of mimeograph fluid. (you are too young to remember that, but heck, I ain't),,,

secret agent woman said...

Nothing. I think you can go to your deathbed content.

mischief said...

heart -- I think it may be possible. It's forecasted to rain all day so I might be hot tubbing more than careening. Either way, I'll find out about those laurels for you tomorrow.

Big Paw -- I work in the public school system and with budgets being what they are, we still have one of those machines hanging around the building. I wonder how cool I'd seem if I knew how to operate it.

Agent -- That's what I thought too. Nothing left to strive for.