Wednesday, April 06, 2011

memories will rust and erode into lists

He asked if there was something to mark the ending and I said there was not.  No cake? he joked.  (He has not known me very long.)  I said nothing.  I mean I said the word nothing, not that I did not speak.

He said maybe a kite instead.  And this piqued my interest far more than cake.  But this time I said nothing, not the word nothing, just waited.  He said I'll tell you something about kites.  If you like.  He could not possibly have known that I already know a thing or two about kites.  I wanted to hear what he was going to say about kites but we were disconnected.  I did not call him back; he did not call me either.   I put down the phone and thought awhile about kites. And endings.  

It's different when things end and we know it.  Then there is the opportunity to mark the occasion.  Cake, funeral, kite.  But the important endings, the ones that you will look back on as significant milestones or significant losses are usually the ones you weren't even aware were happening until it was too late for that kind of acknowledgement. 


*






7 comments:

Brown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brown said...

Such a subtle, yet poignant insight. Truly, lives end, and souls depart, ages before we bury the vessels which carried them.

The celebrations of departure are only for the mind to realize what the heart has known all along.

heartinsanfrancisco said...

I'm so sorry.

secret agent woman said...

Okay, I want everyone to stop posting about endings happening as you are unaware. I'm not liking that right now.

J.B. Chicoine said...

Yikes...I hate the truth of that...

Jerry said...

I wonder. Do you work at finding your words as I suppose a poet might...writing, scratching out...pondering. Or does it all flow simply and naturally. Whatever way, I'm jealous.

mischief said...

Brown, you should have written this post - you summed it up better than I did! (Bitch.)

Susan, I'm fine, but thank you thank you.

Secret Agent, I have waiting to read what's on your mind in this vein. I hope things are okay.

jb, I kind of hate it too. But then when I consider the reverse, knowing how much each little thing really matters, I think it might all be too much to bear.

Jerry, the words I write here come easily because it does not really matter if I say the wrong thing. I only write things here to help me process them; if I write for an audience I work harder at it. I appreciate the compliment, though there's nothing for you to envy.