Friday, January 15, 2010

allons y

I have to go to court as a witness to something stupid and irrelevant and about which I could not care less. My shrug under oath looks totally boring next to Carolyn's fury. She's the other witness and she's livid about being forced to testify. Listening to her rage about it all week has made what was left of my comparably mild irritation completely dissolve which is disappointing because I would like to be fired up too because it seems fun and colourful and hilarious to be so angry.

When the lawyer talked to her, she said, she was careful to be professional (she always is) and gave him only exactly the information he asked her for. Her rehearsal lasted half an hour. When it was my turn it took all afternoon. I told him everything I could think of, I asked him all kinds of questions (I always do), and he showed me a bunch of documents I wasn't really allowed to read while the guy from HR turned pale. If I have to do this I want it to be interesting.

*

K has learned that his office is located in a "high security area" and will be cordoned off during the Olympics which means he will not be able to go to work for two weeks. He is annoyed about this in spite of the fact that he will be able to work from here instead, and I have no way to relate to this. I would love not to be able to go to work for two weeks.

I have been wearing K's watch whenever he's home which perplexed him at first maybe, but now he seems used to it. It's a very heavy watch. He calls me a name in Dutch when he comes to take the watch away from me but I can't remember it long enough to look it up. I think it means Pest.

*

Shawn's getting the Job-Changing feeling again and I think something big is coming. Only custody orders keep me stuck so we'll have to live apart, and this time it looks like half a world away instead of just a province or two. K will be back in Holland by then which is too bad because this house is too big for just me and J.


*

After school today J went out with her friends which left me with the first Friday afternoon free that I can remember in a very very long time. I decided to accept the invitation to go for drinks with staff, which makes the first time I've ever done Friday drinks after work since moving here two and a half years ago. And I drank beer, which I also haven't done for years. In spite of the newness of both the situation and the drink, it all felt strangely comfortable and familiar.


*

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I went back to read some older entries, to help me to understand you - no, to understand the situation you're in.

Your blog is heartwarming and heartbreaking at the same time.

I'm going to save this link, and come back again.

Thanks for reading my page - I don't update very regularly anymore.

mischief said...

Thank you Jali for going backward long enough to start to understand. I hope there's more warmth than heartbreak in either direction. ~L