Friday, April 03, 2009

head 'round the curtain



I have rufous hummingbirds at my feeder!

Last spring Big J told me he saw a hummingbird at the feeder and I didn't really believe him. I kind of assumed he didn't know what he was talking about, which, in retrospect, wasn't fair. But he only saw one hummingbird one time, and the rest of us never saw any. I had my doubts they even existed around here in spite of what I'd been told.

On Monday I went to the wild birdfeed store and bought more sunflower seed for my feeders (the finch are going crazy) and while I was there I asked the lady who was working if the hummingbirds were back from their migration. I asked this because my parents had a hummingbird nest at their house in Arizona and I was so delighted to see the little oiseaux flitting around their feeders; I wanted some of my own!

She said the rufous hummingbird was definitely here and gave me her magical recipe for nectar (1 sugar + 2 water = oiseau).

I filled my feeder again and placed it outside without much hope.

Tonight while we were having dinner, later than usual (around 7:00), early enough to still have some light and late enough that the sun was sinking low, the rufous appeared! Not just one, but many of them, one after another. They've probably been there all along and I've just never known when to look for them. (Maybe they've been scared away by the finches during the daytime.)

It was ridiculously exciting. I felt happy that both Shawn and Little J were excited along with me.

I have hummingbirds!!



*

No comments: