Tuesday, March 24, 2009

ampersand

This afternoon my principal showed me my student enrollment numbers for next year, and lo and behold, after working there for two years, I've built a program big enough to employ one and three quarters of me. (This year there was 1.16 of me.) The good thing about this is that if the man who has been on sick leave the past two years (and who still technically owns this job) is able to return to work in September, there will still be a job for me. He will, at most, be able to work 50% which still leaves me with a full time position and a bit more. I have a feeling that the union may be done protecting him anyway, but if not, it's nice to know that chances are good I'll still be fully employed.

The bad side of this is that as my program grows, others have to shrink. Right now my program is taking a large bite out of the art program, and that makes me feel bad for those teachers who are losing those blocks of teaching time and will be forced to teach something else. I also wonder who will be teaching the other blocks of Drama that I am unable to cover, and whether that person will be happy to be there. I hope so.



*

No comments: