Monday, May 25, 2020

pigeons

We are directed to return to work on Thursday - and there is uproar.  (We have grown fat and comfortable inside our homes and it is difficult to venture back out now.)  There is no plausible hope that anything can prevent this from happening - though there are petitions and various groups online threatening to refuse "unsafe work"; nothing is likely to change at this point, now that public announcements have been made, and soldiers have begun marching.  I can follow along, or not.  (I will.)

S wants us to quit our jobs instead and move to the Atlantic coast where we can afford to retire now and live out our lives free from work.  He has not been directed back to his office. At this stage, he is permitted to work remotely indefinitely.  It is difficult to reconcile the vast array of responses from management in different environments, and it leaves people unsettled, fearful.  My role on staff has become one of reassuring people - in spite of the fact I feel a lack of confidence in leadership, myself.  I feel their anxiety enter my body when we talk, rapid pulse, fast breath.  I don't want them near me.  Their anxiety is just as infectious as the virus.

***

No comments: