Saturday, October 27, 2018

Hello my name is

I've made a decision, which is that I am going to work on Monday and inviting my students to call me by my first name.  If they want to, they can.  If they don't want to, they don't have to.  But I'm sick of having a title imposed on me that only serves to create a false barrier that I do not believe in.  I'm letting the kids decide.

My colleagues might not like it and that has stopped me from doing this for long time.  I have been concerned about annoying others.  And now I've realised I don't care if it bothers them because that is their issue and not mine.

My administration might not like it, and I don't care about that either.  I have a colleague who has not been fired after putting a suicidal student's safety plan in jeopardy; if that doesn't get somebody fired, using my first name certainly isn't going to.  My job is fine.  If they don't like it, they can ask themselves why.



*

No comments: