Sunday, October 01, 2017

End

The fast ended uneventfully.  The easing back in wasn't really necessary, it turns out.  I could eat just fine, but once I was eating I no longer felt like ordering a pizza.  Apparently my increased interest in food had everything to do with not having any, which is a fine metaphor applicable to many aspects of life.

*

October seems to have caught me by the throat this morning the way October does, even when it is clear and sunny and pretends to be summer.  It is not summer.  October is a difficult season for me year after year in the most unexpected ways.

*

M returns to work tomorrow after a month of sick leave.  Her return may make the rest of us ill.  I am resolving not to help her or enable her, and I am also resolving not to kick her off any ledges on purpose. Neither promise is easy to keep because she is slithery.  You never know which of your pockets she is reaching for.

*





No comments: