Tuesday, December 08, 2015

nothing doing

My association invited me to apply for a mediator position - which means being the person who gets called out to referee disputes between colleagues.  It interests me, and so I applied.  Yesterday they began checking my references, and this morning I was contacted with a question.  Am I willing to take six days off work to attend two courses at the Justice Institute?  I had to stop and backspace over my response a few times because it sounded unprofessional to be this enthusiastic about missing six days of work.  But really, missing work is just a bonus.  It is taking courses that gets me fired up.


*

Speaking of missing work, I have taken tomorrow off to go and see my doctor.  I am going to ask him for a referral (to see someone who knows what he/she is doing).  After eight months of paroxysmal dizziness, I am looking for a permanent solution.  Allegedly there is a surgery that can resolve this problem by disconnecting the posterior canal of the inner ear, and perhaps this is something to consider.    The idea of surgery does not please me, but neither does this perpetual dizziness.  I anticipate my doctor will be annoying about this, but I am going to push him.


*

When did Matthew McConaughhey become so disgusting?

*

Yesterday I received an email from N, telling me she wants to hold a Women Only Christmas party at her house right before the break.  I said it sounded like fun.  She asked me which day she should pick.  I advised her not to pick the early dismissal day because people would more likely attend if they could come directly from work since she lives next door.  She asked me how the invitations should go out.  I suggested using email.  (I really am a genius for thinking of that.)  Then she said she would like to send out the email stating that she and I are hosting this party together.  I asked her what that meant; would she like me to share the cost with her?  She said no, she just wants to put my name on the invitation too.

This was bizarre.  The background of this story is that N is the world's most social of social convenors. I cannot think of a reason she would want me to pretend to host a party with her, and my endorsement of a party does not give it any credibility as I am usually the person who ducks out early or skips the party altogether.  Curious.


*

It really irritates me that my morning news program shows viral videos and pretends this is news.


*





2 comments:

Secret Agent Woman said...

That's an odd request - she must feel like having you as co-host would be a bigger draw?

mischief said...

She may, but there is no reason to think so as I have no magic that she doesn't!