Friday, April 05, 2013

liturgical nuttiness

Yesterday I had a meeting during lunch break at which I was unable to eat, so I was forced to sneak food in the block after lunch.  This was my senior Drama class.  They found it terribly funny that I was eating a cup of yogurt with a plastic fork (because I didn't happen to have a spoon)  and funnier still that upon finishing the yogurt, I hung onto the fork for the rest of the block (because I was planning to wash it and reuse it) and ocassionally waved it to emphasize a point, pointed it at students like a microphone, and nibbled on its tines lovingly while watching student performances.

Today when I showed up for class it was apparent that something was wrong.  First of all, the students were all there before me and this never happens.  Second, they were quiet.  This also never happens.   They were suspicious and strange and not making eye contact.

Suddenly I realised that they ALL had plastic forks, all thirty of them!






Gad, I love these little weirdos.  Really love them.  This is the first class at this school that I've taught since eighth grade, and now they're about to grow up and graduate and I'm going to miss them.


*

8 comments:

Nic said...

:) That's lovely

mischief said...

They are lovely, aren't they? So cute and shiny and new looking.

Shelly said...

This made me laugh. I'm a teacher, too, and I could so see some of mine doing this~

Therese said...

Oh man! That is so sweet! Look how loved you are! And by ALL of them...what teacher is loved by ALL her students?

mischief said...

Hi Shelly-fellow-teacher. Made me laugh too. This class is fun to teach. I wonder if I can somehow stop them from graduating so I can keep them...?

Therese, aren't they great? They love me because I love them. That's my secret to getting through to kids in case you ever decide to become a teacher. I love them first, even the hard-to-love ones. And that makes them love me back against their wills, and that, in turn, forces them to do my bidding and learn stuff even though they don't want to. I know, I'm an evil genius.

Secret Agent Woman said...

Ha ha ha! I love that. Sometimes teens can be wickedly funny.

mischief said...

Absolutely, and in this case I had to admire their organization!

Brown said...

Hahahah....I laughed out loud. Thank you for that. Amazing.