Saturday, March 02, 2013

to go with sweet lines

I am reassessing whether or not alcohol has a place in my life.  Sure, it's partly that hangovers are different than they used to be.  Much longer lasting, much more miserable.  But it's more than that.  I do not actually enjoy the taste of alcohol all that much.  I mean, I like red wine, but not really the taste so much as the effect.  It tastes good, but lots of other things taste good too that do not leave me feeling ill the next day.  I guess what I'm realising is that I drink the way alcoholics drink, not with the same frequency or the same need but with the same motivation.  I rarely have a drink because I want the taste of alcohol.  I drink with the intention of becoming intoxicated, because I like the way that feels.  And that's the same thing that leads to alcoholism.  Of course I suffer the hangovers too much to really make that leap, but it's not the point.  The point is that I think I've reached saturation with this particular vice.  Maybe.

*



3 comments:

Therese said...

What will you replace it with? When that urge for a little blur, a little cheer comes...what will you turn to?

mischief said...

Endorphins, I think. I can get my body to make good drugs when I run, which is also my answer to your question a few days ago about what can get a person to move more. For me, it's the fact that when I do it I get the endorphin rush afterward, a feeling of euphoria better than comes from wine or anything else. It feels like falling in love.

Secret Agent Woman said...

Then it's probably a wise decision to let it go. I actually do drink for the taste of the wine, but if that changes, I may walk away.