Tuesday, March 12, 2013

caught beneath the landslide

We will be in Italy most likely just after the conclave ends, and just in time, perhaps, to witness celebrations and dancing in the streets.  Knowing my obnoxious habit of falling asleep every time I am inside a moving vehicle, I am going to make a special effort, this time, to try and stay conscious when it counts.  When I start to feel anxious about leaving my family for 12 days, it comforts me that RW seems to firmly in control of the situation.

*

I gave my Crazy Sue saga to the two union representatives at my school yesterday.  They already knew some of it so I just filled in the hollows a bit, and asked their advice.  They want to speak to the principal on my behalf, which is simultaneously scary and wonderful.  Wonderful in that I'd love someone else to fix this for me while I do nothing, but scary in that it leaves my story open to their interpretation in the translation and the same for the principal's response to them as it gets translated back to me.  I suspect the principal is not going to be especially moved by my story because she strikes me as the kind of person who would have stabbed a hole in Crazy Sue on the first day and deflated her immediately rather than allowing her, as I have done, to develop a taste for blood.

*


Tonight I will be driving out to visit with BB, the first time I will have seen her since her leukemia diagnosis.  I am bringing her food, both food I've made (poor girl) and food that the staff has given me to bring to her.  And some cash, and a giant card made and signed by the seniors.  Before I can enter her home I have to shower, change clothes, and then scrub up a second time immediately upon arrival.  This is to protect her compromised immune system so she does not have to go back to stay in the hospital.  I am both looking forward to, and feeling apprehensive about this visit.


*








4 comments:

Therese said...

"would have stabbed a hole in Crazy Sue on the first day and deflated her immediately rather than allowing her, as I have done, to develop a taste for blood." Oh that's beautiful.

How did your visit go? Was in awkward bringing cash?

mischief said...

The visit was probably more of a comfort to me than it was to her. She looked normal, sounded normal, acted normal. I was sort of expecting a movie-scene with soft oboe music playing in the background. She was sassy and confident of her recovery plans, which helped me feel better too. She was kind of embarrassed about the cash, I think, so we skipped over it quickly, but she definitely needs it. The hospital charges her 10$ to park, twice a day! Once her accumulated sick days run out she gets only half her salary (which is a better insurance package than much of the public has, I know, but makes it difficult to manage her mortgage). It was a good visit and I really really really hope that her road to recovery is straight and short.

Secret Agent Woman said...

I'm glad you git to visit your friend and also glad she's doing well.

I hope there's some resolution with Crazy Sue.

Secret Agent Woman said...

Sorry, a blind moment.

Change that to "I'm glad you GOT to visit.
" I'm not that Southern.