Sunday, May 20, 2012

calling me back to my sin

Jesse still talks about Mother Love Bone.  It's funny, isn't it, how we have a musical moment on an infinite loop that represents us?  I laugh at my mum for loving Pat Boone forever and forever, but of course it's no less ridiculous that I still hum, with complete seriousness, "Nearly Lost You" by the Screaming Trees -- and picture myself in plaid, and still feel I could have married Eddy Vedder if I'd been more proactive.  There are these forever places, like Seattle garage band land, or wherever else they may exist, where time was supposed to stop but it didn't.

And so although I'm 21 and I wear Doc Martens army boots with dresses, I'm also supposed to be responsible enough to parent a child.  And although I drink draft beer on tap, 5$ a pitcher, I somehow am supposed to pay a mortgage and understand interest rates.  I remember Mother Love Bone too, Jesse, and I remember Hunger Strike like I wrote it myself, every chord, every nuance, from the mouths of decadence.


*




No comments: