Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Arrythmia

I saw my doctor again today for a follow up on my last (strange) appointment.  As I was beginning to suspect, there is nothing wrong with my thyroid.  Having read all the symptoms of hypo/hyperthyroid conditions, I was pretty sure that wasn't it.  It's sort of like the body just knows.

This is good news, of course, as no one wants to have a thyroid condition, but it would have been nice to have an answer to whyI have such a racy heart.  The ECG wasn't particularly informative -- just proved that my heart was indeed very fast.  My doctor wrote "tachycardia at rest" and "arrythmia" on my referral form.  That means my heart is not only fast, but also beating irregularly.

So now what?  I have an appointment to see a cardiologist next month.  I get to do some tests for which, apparently, I am to show up with running shoes.  (Fun.)  And I get to wear a Holter monitor for 24 hours so it can record my heart rate and rhythms throughout the day.

I suspect it will all boil down to working with Crazy Sue.  I wonder if there is a prescription I can take that will make her disappear.



*

Meanwhile, the play is underway.  Two more nights, tonight and tomorrow.  And then I will consider myself to be on strike as far as extracurricular activities go.  I'll join what is lovingly referred to as the Three O'Clock Track Team.  And I plan to be a star.


*

4 comments:

Secret Agent Woman said...

I had a problem with that for a while, with similar EKG results, and also had thyroid tests which were essentially negative. Eventually it (mostly) went away.

mischief said...

I'm glad the problem went away. And hope mine does too. That would be ideal if it all just sorted itself out like that. Mysterious, though.

Secret Agent Woman said...

Any chance the work situation is playing into it? You're certainly under a lot of stress.

mischief said...

I'm sure the work stress is exacerbating it, but the fast heart is something I've had for a long time. Several doctors have commented on it over the years, but none have ever thought it worth investigating in any depth. But yes, I agree that work stress adds to the problem.