Friday, June 24, 2011

every way you look at it you lose

This time of year makes me tired.  So many special events to mark the occasions of commencement, graduation, and awards.  I wish we could combine these events into one interminably long evening and have it done.

I always attend commencement.  I want to hand out my own scholarships.  I want the kids to know I'm happy for them.  But I always sneak out of commencement after the grads cross the stage and the speeches start.  I leave because I want to get out of the parking lot before the 800 parents and friends try to do the same thing.  And because I do not want to pose for pictures when it's over.  And most of all because I want to avoid having to talk to people.

Tonight, however, I was one of the ones that had to make a speech.  I'm not much of a fan of public speaking, not really, although I have lots of practice at it.  I always make my presentations short.  Couched between two long long long speeches, I think mine seemed abrupt and odd.  Like me.  I snuck out once the valedictorian started.

*

3 comments:

heartinsanfrancisco said...

I always appreciate short speeches, and would love to hear any given by you. I think it's hard to muster the requisite enthusiasm for ceremonies which, while new to those graduating, otherwise change little from year to year.

My verification word is "urome." Oh, if only!

mischief said...

Normally when invited to speak to an audience of 1000 people, I would decline. But in this case it seemed important because the student I was presenting the award to had done a lot to make my life easier. In that way it was special to me... but I still wanted to get out there fast when it was over. Urome!

glnroz said...

At that point, what can be said that hasn't already been said, except, perhaps, the "thank you" to that special person,,,